Thursday 17 May 2012

Thu 17th May - Walton-on-Thames to Staines

Unfortunately the Garmin conked out this morning as the batteries were flat. They are re-chargeable but that doesn't help when the charger is back at home :) According to the guide book today's leg from Walton-on-Thames to Staines was 7 miles so that will have to do. Yesterday there was a mix-up at the b&b. We had settled into our room when the proprietor came a-knocking. Seemed someone else should have been in the room he had given us. We were moved into a bigger room at the front of the house for no extra charge :) The owner offered to drive us back to the river this morning. We had asked for a packed lunch but in the rush we had forgotten it. After the first mile we had to get a ferry across to Shepperton. We had just landed on the far bank when the b&b owner appeared waving our packed lunch. The ferryman whizzed over the river to collect it for us! We saw some more of those birds today - having checked the RSPB website we think they may be harriers but we're still not sure. We also saw a pair of grebes doing a mating dance in the river where they mirror each other's movements. A coffee stop at Chertsey and lunch at Penton Hook (where the river does a half mile loop to travel about 400yards. Then it was a short walk into Staines where we are staying tonight. When we checked in we were pleased to hear we had been upgraded to a riverside room. A nice early finish today so we had time to go shopping for (1) batteries! (2) tomorrow's lunch (3) a new cap for yours truly .. I managed to leave my old one behind somewhere along the way. With today leg completed I think that means we've now covered 51 miles - and so far the feet and legs seem to be coping okay.

5 comments:

  1. I loved catching up with your travels while I was on a dull train journey earlier today, so keep the blogs coming.
    Great to see that people can be kind and go out of their way to help, sometimes we forget that the human race isn't all bad.
    Keep plodding!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks Pegg - I shouted my thanks to the owner of the b&b across the river. He gave me a thumbs-up so I think he heard me okay. And I said a big thank you to the ferryman too.

      Delete
  2. Wow. What a contrast to the service at Travelodge!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I said I gave Travelodge 0 out of 10 .. I would give the b&b owner and ferryman 10 out of 10 :)

      Delete
  3. Really enjoying reading this - hopefully more of the places you stay will be like this B&B and less like the Trav Lodge! Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete