Friday 24 May 2013

Day 7 - Kingston Blount to Wendover

The road from the Ridgeway to Kingston Blount is straight, fast and dangerous to walk on as we discovered last night on our way to our b&b for the night. So a thank you to the landlady of the Cherry Tree for driving me back to the Ridgeway this morning. Margaret wasn't with me today - the 16 miles yesterday were too much for her and she was completely worn out. We knew today's walk would be a tough one so she wisely decided to save her energy for the last leg tomorrow.

In the event the walk today was even tougher than usual because of the weather. Strong winds, horizontal rain, steep climbs, slippery descents. I found my hands becoming numb with the cold wind and rain.

I would love to give you a full description of the walk but to be honest I spent most of today with the hood of my waterproof up and my head down so a lot of what I saw was the few yards of the path in front of me. It was just a case of keeping going and getting to the end. 

I could almost say today's blog is brought to you in association with Romney's Kendal Mint Cake because this afternoon when I was beginning to flag it kept me going. There were some things to mention such as the old quarries near Chinnor which have been flooded and where the water has turned a turquoise blue because of the chalk. Or walking across the drive leading to Chequers and noticing the security cameras everywhere. But the wind and rain meant sightseeing was not a priority.

Suffice to say I was pleased when Wendover finally came into view. After 12 windy, wet miles it was just what I needed. When I got to the hotel room I found that everything was soaked through and my hands were numb. But a cup of tea  followed by a hot shower revived me.

I have spoken to my sister tonight and she and my brother-in-law will be meeting us tomorrow to walk some of the way with us. And apparently the weather tomorrow will be sunshine. Let's hope so!!

No comments:

Post a Comment