Sunday 17 March 2013

Day 7 (Sat 16th Mar) - Kirkenes

I was very lucky last night. Feeling worn out from two late nights watching the northern lights I wasn't really sure I had the energy to get dressed up to go outside on deck yesterday evening. I decided I wouldn't bother so was in my pyjamas and had been reading a book. Before laying down to sleep I decided to look out of the cabin window in case I could see anything. So imagine how pleased I was to see the lights in the night sky up above. I was able to watch and photograph the lights from the comfort of our cabin.

I took my last photograph at 12:50am so no wonder I didn't wake up until just after 8:30am this morning. We had a leisurely breakfast and got talking to the couple next to us - it turned out they are from Stroud. What's that they say about going on holiday to far-away places and bumping into people who live nearby? We docked at Kirkenes soon after. This is the northern-most port of call on the cruise and the turning point. It is 1540 miles from Bergen where we joined the ship and started our journey. 

We are above the arctic circle here, at around 69 degrees North. The local temperature was -20C and once again we were lucky with the weather .. It was bright sunshine and there was no wind. However, despite the sunshine, the water in the fjord was a sheet of ice just to prove how cold it is. We had a slight moment of panic when leaving the ship. The steps that are lowered began to move upwards and inwards as we went to leave. And the doors back into the ship had been locked. I had to use the emergency phone to call reception and get them to stop what was happening. Thankfully they stopped quickly but we were unsure what was going on and naturally had visions of being squashed.

Panic over and steps down again, we donned our spikes and walked into town. Despite the cold temperature, it didn't feel as cold as I thought it would. Maybe it's because it is a dry cold rather than the wetter type we get in the UK? My only problem was my sunglasses steaming up from my breath. The scarf I had over my nose and mouth had a layer of frost on them by the time we returned to the ship.

We got round to using the gym on the ship after lunch. It is the first time I have tried running on a treadmill on a ship that is rolling on the waves (though thankfully, not rolling around too much). Then afterwards, we used the jacuzzi on the deck outside. Sitting in a hot tub, on the deck of a ship, with the outside temperature at around -10C has to be one of the most surreal things I have ever done.

The forecast for the lights is good again tonight (still set at 3). I am in bed at the moment .. we have set the alarm for 11pm and will go up on deck later to see if any lights can be seen.

(to be continued)

We were woken at 10:45pm by an announcement that northern lights could be seen. We got dressed as quickly as possible and went outside to watch and photograph them. They didn't seem as good as on previous nights (we spoke to someone after breakfast who said we should have been there just before the announcement!).

We needed to come in after a while for a hot chocolate drink to warm ourselves .. we went outside again afterwards but the lights had not improved so we called it a night.

No comments:

Post a Comment