Tuesday 17 December 2013

Ouch ..

Just when things seemed to be going well, an injury that has stopped any further running for a week or two.

I set out on a 9ml run on Saturday morning but didn't get far. 1.5mls into the run I started to feel a pain in my left calf. I stopped and tried stretching the calf muscle hoping it would help. But when I started running again the pain got worse so I had to abandon my run. The 1.5ml walk home took me 40 minutes and everyone was over-taking me as I was having to take very slow, short strides.

What is frustrating is that I did the usual pre-run stretching routine that I do every time I head out. So I would love to know what has brought this on. Three days on the soreness has mostly gone away. I can drive without any problems and can walk around. It is only when I take a slightly longer stride or go up or down stairs that I notice how 'tight' the calf is.

So I am stretching the leg as often as possible and will just have to give it time to improve. And because of this problem I will spend even longer stretching and warming up before any more runs. I remember a very good stretch that my physio showed me the last time I was being treated - so will be including that one as well in future.

I am guessing it will be January before I can head out again or get on the treadmill and start trying to get myself (literally and metaphorically) back up to speed.

No comments:

Post a Comment