Monday 14 July 2014

C2C Day 9

No wifi again so another quick update by email. 18.5 miles done today from Reeth to Bolton-on-Swale (further than planned because of footpath diversion due to road works on A1). More rain today .. not what forecast said. Walking a bit easier today as it was across rolling farmland but feet are still sore and legs ache from non-stop walking.

** I have WiFi this evening so can update last night's blog with what I wrote last night **

Mon 14th - Reeth to Bolton on Swale

18.5mls, 8.5hrs

A longer day than planned because of detour around a closed footpath due to roadworks on the A1. Feet very sore by the end of the day.

Good walking at the start as we carried on down the Swale. The pace at the front was too fast for me and I was soon left behind yet again. I hadn't slept well and wasn't that impressed with my room in Reeth. So I was grumpy about walking by myself, getting left behind and tired before the day started.

I lost count of the number of wicket gates, squeeze stiles and gates we had to negotiate. We crossed and re-crossed the river and made our way through field after field. One highlight was Applegarth where we walked below a limestone cliff.

We reached Richmond at lunch time and had a break of over an hour. I spent most of it sitting on a park bench resting my feet and legs. I made a quick visit to the nearby Co-op to buy some lucozade. Drinking it gave me a bit of a boost and after lunch I was able to keep up better.

We made our way out of Richmond and had to follow a long detour because of roadworks. This involved crossing busy A roads several times where the traffic was very fast moving. It was very dangerous and only the kindness of some drivers who slowed to let us cross meant that we weren't stuck there for longer than we were. Bolton on Swale was eventually reached but by then everybody was on autopilot.

A bus was laid on to bring us back to Richmond and the accomodation was slightly strange. A lockable door from the entrance hall took you into a small corridor with rooms on either side. I am in one room, with Jill and Judy sharing the other - and up a couple of steps is a shared bathroom.

Jill had not been feeling well so when we arrived she laid down for a sleep. She was still in bed at 7pm when we had agreed to go out and eat. So Judy and myself along with Eve and Rachelle who are also in the same b&b headed into town. Because we were all tired we made a beeline for the nearest pub called the Ship Inn. It didnt look that appealing from the outside and when we went inside we saw why. A dark, dingy room with a bar down one side. We asked if they did food .. And weren't surprised when they said no, just drinks. To be honest we were all a bit relieved.

We did find a nice alternative as there was an Italian restaurant nearby and so the four of us toasted each other with Peroni for another day completed and everyone still going (despite the ever-increasing amounts of blister plasters!)

1 comment: