Saturday 5 July 2014

Sat 5thJul - Day 0

Spent ages packing last night. It took a while to decide on exactly what to bring and what to leave behind. Had to think carefully about what could 'double up' and be used for walking and non-walking. By 10pm I had made my decisions - most of the stuff was in the case, some odds and ends were in the rucksack and my phones and other valuables were in my bumbag. And this morning, even if I had wanted to I didn't have time to reconsider - ready or not it was time to go!

I had a trouble free journey with no late or cancelled trains and the two connections I needed worked without a hitch. I had reserved seats to Birmingham and then Lancaster - on both of these trains the person next to me slept through most of the journey. The coastal train was unreserved seating and very busy. There wasn't much legroom and I ended up opposite a lady who didnt seem to be able to keep her feet still. I was just glad I was wearing my old walking boots to travel in! It saved me getting bruised toes :-) It was a relief when some people left the train and I was able to move and stretch out a bit.

Some great views of Lakeland as we made our way up the coast on the final stretch of the journey. Finally we reached St. Bees and once I had struggled off with my luggage, found myself at the front of a convoy of people with cases and rucksacks with walking poles poking out. As I checked the directions for the hotel I heard someone saying aloud what I was reading - turned out to be someone else on the same C2C walking holiday.

We had a welcome meeting earlier on. As it's the first day tomorrow there quite a bit of 'admin' to go through. And it was the first chance to meet my fellow C2C'ers who I will be walking with for the next two weeks. The lady who runs the b&b where we are all staying reserved us a table at the local pub and we have all just had a meal together. So that was a good way to start getting to know everyone.

The group is all ladies apart from the walk leader and one other guy. I was quite surprised as I expected it to be all couples. And they are from places as far away as Australia, Canada and the USA. To save time in the morning I have already packed my rucksack. All I will need to do is fill my camelbak with water and make my flask of coffee.

So .. tomorrow it all starts for real and judging by the conversation around the table earlier, I think we are all feeling the same. Excitement .. but a slight feeling of trepidation at the thought of what lies ahead and how we will all cope.

1 comment:

  1. Mel - just catching up here, but it sounds like a good start (the journey up, at least!) Hope it all goes well and I look forward to reading your blog and hearing about your progress. One foot in front of the other ...

    ReplyDelete