Tuesday 8 July 2014

C2C - update on day 1 and days 2 and 3

I had to post the previous blog from my phone as I didn't have any WiFi. We haven't had any WiFi or even any mobile signal for the last couple of days which is why it has been quiet on here without any postings.

On day 1 we started by following the tradition of dipping our boots in the sea and picking up a pebble to carry to Robin Hoods Bay. Then we had a group photo taken before setting off.

The Queens Arms where we ate last night was very noisy. A World cup match was on and a stag party group we're there getting sloshed. Our walk leader Chris says he is always glad to leave St. Bees as it always noisy. I was in eaves of Stonehouse Farm last night. Two other rooms were in close proximity so there were lots of noises off and creaking floorboards. I was woken by something at 4:45am .. took a while to get back to sleep. Slightly disorganised that morning as a result and was the last person out.

As you would expect with popular route like C2C others at Stonehouse Farm were out starting the walk today. We saw some of them when out today and most of us met again at Shepherds Rest that evening. The Shepherds Rest where we were staying did lovely meals and table was reserved for all of us.

Day 2 - Mon 7th

Ennerdale Bridge to Rosthwaite
14.9ml, 9h 00m

08:30am start but breakfast not until 07:30am so all a bit of a rush and I was last one in for breakfast so had to wait. Brought my case downstairs and picked up my packed lunch while I was waiting. Stuff I rinsed through yesterday evening dried overnight which was good.

Been taught fell runners knot by Suzanne and used that today and it stayed tied up without any problem. Set off at 08:45am and followed roads to Ennerdale Water then we had 3mls of rocky path along lake including short scramble. Crossed river at end then 5mls of forest track to Black Sail Hut where we had lunch break. Rocky path to Loft Beck then rocky, steep ascent beside beck to top. Views back down Ennerdale Water from top. Crossed fell towards Drum House with views of Haystacks, Innonimate Tarn, Buttermere and Crummock Water .. with views of Scotland in distance. Steep rocky descent to Honister Slate Mine where we had tea and cake. Another rocky path down to Stonethwaite and very steep slope down through ferns. Final part of journey past youth hostel and road to Gillercombe bed and breakfast.

Landlady Rachel is a 'character'. Six of us staying - me, Chris, Sue, Liz, Rachelle, Eve. But only one bath so we had to shower in shifts .. some had a shower while others had tea and vice versa. Original planned pub did not work out as it is closed on Mondays so had to walk to next nearest one. Very noisy as it was packed with walkers. We saw same people today we saw yesterday and passed each other quite a few times.

Feet we're sore after today but still no blisters. Main problem is quads are sore after rocky ascents and descents today. Was stumbling quite a bit towards end - think that was due to tired legs. Will stretch tonight and put some Voltarol on.

08:15am start tomorrow as we six have to walk down to Knott's House where others at staying for 08:30 start.

Day 3 - Tue 8th

Rosthwaite to Grasmere
9ml, 7h 15m

Today was very hard work for me. My quads were still sore from the first two days walking. It was raining so the waterproofs were on. After a short walk on road we started climbing. The route went up Greenup Gill and we climbed to 600m. I was at the back of the group and out of breath and sweating with the effort. I was having to take small steps to stop my quad getting any worse than they were. When we reached the top we traversed the flat area and had lunch. There was a choice of following the valley down into Grasmere or doing a ridge walk. The rest of the group voted for the ridge walk so I had to tag along. By the time we had negotiated the rocky paths up and down the three small peaks on the ridge my legs were really tired and I had run out of water. The final descent down a rocky path was a real test for me and by the time we reached the outskirts of Grasmere I was just trudging along.

However, once I had reached the hotel, showered and changed and had a cold beer in my hand I was feeling better. The Red Lion has a laundry so two of the group (Suzanne and Jane) let me know and we shared the cost between us to do a load of washing. We had a laugh when we got the stuff out of the tumble dryer and took the bag back to their room to sort out our stuff. When I picked up my trousers Jane's bra was tangled up with the mesh of one of the pockets! :-)

39 miles done and tomorrow we head for Glenridding. This is just 8miles with a steady climb up to Grisedale Tarn and a steady descent into Patterdale. We have been warned that day 5 when we head from Glenridding to Shap is one of the toughest of the whole route.



No comments:

Post a Comment